Congratulations! You are about to embark on an exciting journey that will lead to your dream custom home. The most important choice you make, when it comes to building your home, is the building team that you hire. Designing and building the home you are getting ready to live in to meet your unique style and needs, is a service that requires: Skill, Creativity, and Experience. When interviewing potential custom home builders, it is difficult for many people to truly assess a home builder’s ability to help them through the design and construction process. As you progress through each stage – finding, buying, designing, and building your custom home – these questions can be very helpful.
Well, we’ve also put together a short article to help guide you on what things you should be looking for when meeting with potential builders..
Below is the list of questions that you will find extremely helpful when looking for your custom home builder
1. Are you licensed in (where required) and insured?
2. How long have you been in business?
3. What is your educational & experience background?
4. Are your carpenters employees or subcontractors?
5. What professional associations do you belong to?
6. What are the most important benefits of the homes you build?
7. Can you give me references from past home buyers?
8. Do you own any lots?
9. How and when will the final price be determined?
10. Do you use the same trade subcontractors consistently or receive bids for the lowest price?
11. Can I choose any or all of my subcontractors?
12. Will you provide a written time table for project phases?
13. Who will be my contact person with your company? How often will I be in touch with them?
14. How will I get status updates on the project?
15. Does the final price include the following: permits, zoning fees, material taxes, delivery charges, construction labor, dumpster, toilet facilities during construction, builder’s insurance, and safety equipment?
16. Who is responsible for permit and zoning issues?
17. What unique features add to the energy efficiency of your buildings?
18. How does this compare to other builders?What is your change order policy?
19. What guarantees do you offer?
20. How many homes have you built this year?
21. What is the price range in which you build?
22. Who is responsible for getting the construction loan?
23. Do you only build select plans, or can I make modifications, or even start from scratch on a plan specific to my needs?
24. How is the buyer involved in the process?
25. How often (and when) will I have access to the home during the building process?
26. Do you have a formal building process that all homes go through?
27. Who oversees the contractors on the job site?
28. Will I have a schedule as to when selections are needed?
29. Will I have updates as to expenses I make throughout the process, and how often?
30. Who is accountable for the project timeline and any problems that occur?
31. Can you give me an estimate of my out of pocket costs based on a signed contract?
32. What is your process for inspection at key points of construction, at final walk-through, and to address any matters that need to be corrected or finalized?
33. Will you provide a warranty on the construction of my home? If so, for how long?
34. After I decide to build with you, what happens next?
35. After closing, how do we get a hold of you for warranty maters?
36. How often will you be cleaning my home throughout the construction process?
37. What happens if you miss the agreed upon closing date?
38. Why should I choose your company?
39. Do you have a model that I could walk through?
40. When can we start?
Well folks, there you have it! When you interview any builder, whether it be for a Kitchen and / or bathroom renovation, a whole house remodel, or even a brand new custom stick built home, those questions are pretty specific to your project! Ask away, and remember you don’t need to stick to this list! There are always questions specific to your project to ask also. Don’t forget, we would love to answer any questions you may have for us! =D
Until next time friends….
Nicole D., Resident Toback Blogger